Internal Competitive Funding
Programs Sponsored by the Office of Research
The Office of Research distributes all indirect costs back to the colleges after the allocation of certain central costs and the cost for supporting sponsored research. This return also includes the annual formula returns to investigators and units. In addition, the Office of Research uses a combination of carry-forward funds and earnings from the UF Research Foundation to fund the following internal support programs.
Five percent of the unrestricted funds in the University of Florida Research Foundation will be used annually to stimulate and reward research efforts. Two programs are available:
Research Foundation Professorships: Thirty-three new awards annually recognize faculty research contributions and provide incentives for continued excellence in research. Each Professorship is awarded for a three-year period and includes a $5,000 annual salary supplement and a $3,000 research grant. Associate and Full Professors who are tenured and who have been on the UF faculty for at least five years are eligible to be nominated by their department chairs. Recipients of the Professorship are selected by their colleges.
Matching Funds for New Training Grants: To aid faculty in their efforts to secure more training grants for graduate education, the Office of Research will provide an institutional match (usually in the form of additional tuition payments) and a letter of support for all NEW training grants that are submitted to external agencies. Matches from colleges will be considered in determining the level of support from the Office of Research.
- Annual seed grant program that targets interdisciplinary, faculty-initiated research initiatives with potential for extramural support
- Supports new projects and/or new collaborative partnerships
- 2013 Research Opportunity Seed Fund Awards
- 2012 Research Opportunity Seed Fund Awards
- 2011 Research Opportunity Seed Fund Awards
- 2010 Research Opportunity Seed Fund Awards
- 2009 Research Opportunity Seed Fund Awards
- 2008 Research Opportunity Seed Fund Awards
- 2007 Research Opportunity Seed Fund Awards
- 2006 Research Opportunity Seed Fund Awards
Other Internal Support Programs for Faculty
Fine Arts and Humanities Scholarship Enhancement Fund
This fund was established to stimulate new or existing creative/research activity in the humanities and fine arts at the University of Florida. Approximately 40 awards are supported annually. The maximum award request is $10,000, with the average award expected to be less. Eligible applicants are UF faculty working on projects in the humanities or fine arts. The humanities awards process is handled by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The fine arts competition is managed by the College of Fine Arts. Faculty in those areas should contact the appropriate Dean’s Office for application information. The deadline for proposals is generally in mid-November annually.
Internal Support Programs for Students
Highest priority will be given to doctoral level students and students in other terminal degree programs who are invited to give major talks, are in their final year of their programs and are presenting work at a national meeting, or have a unique research or collaborative opportunity at an off-site location. These one-time awards are limited to $300 per trip and require a dollar for dollar match from the college and/or department. Click here to access the guidelines and forms. Requests should be submitted a minimum of one month in advance of the desired travel date.
These reimbursement-based grants may be used to cover travel-related expenses for presenting research or participating in professional development at a professional conference. Reimbursement may cover conference registration, transportation, and lodging, but not food, entertainment, or purchases made on department Pcards. Grants are provided to half-fund travel, so your expenses must be twice as much as the amount requested. The maximum grant is $250. For more information, including departmental eligibility, please visit: http://gsc.sg.ufl.edu/grants/
These prestigious fellowships which honor Dr. Linton E. Grinter – long-time dean of the UF Graduate School and champion of quality graduate programs, faculty and students – are used by UF colleges to recruit the highest quality graduate students to the University of Florida. The Office of Research provides $630,000 annually to fund Grinter Fellows in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Health Science Center colleges and the Colleges of Architecture, Business Administration, Education, Fine Arts, Health and Human Performance, and Journalism and Communications. For more information, please contact the Graduate School.
Other UF Programs
- Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) Awards
- McKnight Brain Institute Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Research Trust (BSCIRT) Program
- International Center – Internationalizing the Curriculum Awards
- Center for Latin American Studies – Field Research Grants for Graduate Students
- Center for European Studies Funding Opportunities (e.g. course development, travel grants)
- School of Natural Resources & Environment Mini-grant Programs
- UF Shands Cancer Center Junior Investigator Pilot Project Grants
- UF Water Institute Program Initiation Fund
- Emerging Pathogens Institute (EPI) Seed Funding and Resubmission Support
- The Florida High Tech Corridor Council Matching Funds Research Program at the University of Florida
- UF Center for the Humanities and the Public Sphere Grant and Fellowship Opportunities